This is for all of you Blackberry aficionados and by request from a couple of site members. Here are two recipes that were given to me about 10 or so years ago, I had to find them in my files, (actually a stack of miscellaneous notes on scraps of paper in a file folder.) I am unsure of the source. The first is using fresh Blackberries and the second is for those who cannot wait, it uses blackberry flavoring extract. This, like the rest of our “Moonshine” is actually a liqueur made from distilled liquors, they are fun to make, can be customized to your own taste and are certainly cheaper than the store bought equivalent.
DoG’s Blackberry Moonshine Liqueur No 1
2 cups Blackberries, washed, choose only the best to use
1 cup Sugar
1 cup 100-Proof Vodka
1 cup Brandy
1 cup Light Corn Syrup
1 teaspoon Lemon Zest
1 tablespoon fresh squeezed Lemon Juice
- Put the Blackberries in a clean 2 Quart jar and add sugar. Crush the berries with a wooden spoon and let them stand for 1 hour.
- Add Vodka and Brandy, cap it tightly and shake it vigorously.
- Add Corn Syrup, Lemon Zest and Lemon Juice. Let it stand in a cool dark place for 2 weeks.
- Use cheese cloth or a fine-mesh strainer to strain out the solids. Throw them out.
- Transfer to a clean container and let everything settle for a week.
- Filter into your final container. It’s best if you cover and age this for 1 month.
This should yield about 1 quart.
Now for those of you who cannot wait, the following is our KISS method Shortcut.
DoG’s Blackberry Moonshine Liqueur No 2
1 ½ cups Sugar
1 cup Water
1 ½ teaspoons Blackberry Flavoring Extract
1 ½ cups 100-Proof Vodka
- Make a simple syrup by bringing the sugar and water to a boil over medium-high heat, while stirring constantly to prevent burning of the sugar. When the liquid is clear, remove it from the heat and let it stand until just warm. (Alcohol evaporates at a little over 170 degrees)
- Pour this into a clean 1 quart jar with a tight fitting lid. Add your Flavoring and Vodka, Put a Lid On It and Shake It Up. You are done with your creation.
- You can drink this right away but it will taste better if you can wait a week or two or three!
This yields about a fifth.
For those those of you who don’t know, DoG’s are our initials’, Dave or Gretchen. I was told it could not be GoD’s because that one was already taken and could be considered politically incorrect . . . as if I ever have been! I hope you enjoy, Dave